The OUR Research Scholar position is an appointment under the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR). Under the supervision of a faculty member conducting the research project, the OUR Research Scholar is responsible for assisting the faculty member in a variety of non-administrative tasks which may include preparing resources, equipment, materials for the research, and/or documenting results in support of the research activities.
Research projects/scholarly endeavors will be directly related to the student's area of study, interests and/or ideally lead to a research project for the Undergraduate Research Conference or another undergraduate research opportunity (i.e., a presentation at a local, regional or national conference). The supervising faculty is responsible for providing ongoing feedback and a formal assessment at the end of the semester. The OUR Research Scholar will also be required to attend OUR programming events (i.e., professional development seminars) and meet with OUR staff on a frequent basis to discuss progress on the research project.
The Supervising Faculty determines the research goals which may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct literary research
- Interpret, synthesize and analyze data
- Provide reports on status of research activities
- Plan and modify research techniques, procedures, tests, equipment or software management
- Write and edit materials for publication and presentation
- Meet with faculty supervisor on regular basis to maintain ongoing communication regarding the quality of the scholar’s performance.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The OUR Research Scholar will be gaining hands-on experience with faculty members on UNC Charlotte's campus. He/she will be working one-one one in research labs learning technical and research skills. The OUR Research Scholar will also be involved in professional development activities offered through the Office of Undergraduate Research.
The OUR Research Scholar is expected to do the following:
- Arrive to work on time.
- Stay for the duration of his/her set hours
- Work 8 hours per week
- Attend all OUR Professional Development workshops
- Be courteous and professional when working with co-workers, students, faculty, administration, and staff.
- Minimize cell phone use during scheduled work hours.
- Comply with UNC Charlotte Student Code of Conduct when engaging in all social outreach.
- Possess and maintain a GPA of 3.2 or higher throughout the semester.
OUR Research Scholars are encouraged to apply to OUR Summer Programs.
Professional Development Outcomes/Career Competencies
- Problem Solving: Analyze issues, think critically, make decisions, and overcome challenges. Obtain, interpret, and use knowledge, facts and data to make decisions.
- Communications: Articulate thoughts and ideas effectively and efficiently, using verbal, non-verbal, digital and written methods.
- Teamwork: Build collaborative relationships by valuing others and taking responsibility for your role within a team.
- Technology Application: Select and use appropriate technology to solve problems and accomplish goals
- Leadership: Use interpersonal skills to coach, motivate and develop others, recognizing their strengths to achieve common goals/shared vision.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate responsible work habits (i.e. punctuality, accountability, workload management) while displaying integrity and ethical behavior (i.e. acknowledge and learn from mistakes).
- Self-Awareness: Understand one's skills, strengths, experiences and areas for improvement in order to explore career options, take the steps necessary to pursue opportunities and understand how to advocate for personal and professional success.
- Global/Intercultural Awareness: Value, respect, and learn from a variety of identities, characteristics and experiences (that include, but are not limited to, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin, race, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity.
- Interest in Research
- Problem Solving
- Proficient in MS Word and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills/phone skills, customer service oriented, and well organized.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Time & Attendance
Minimum Grade Point Average: 3.2
Please apply via Hire-a-Niner to the job posting title “STW: Office of Undergraduate Research Scholar”.
To be considered for a position, please send the following:
- The completed online application
- Cover letter stating your interest in working in a research lab and why you should be selected as an OUR Research Scholar
- The name and college/department of the faculty member you would like to work with.